- Browse bikes
- Top bikes
- News & reviews
- Free classifieds
Review of the 2005 Husaberg FE 550 e:
Husaberg FE 550 - Excellent big-bore blaster
Author: Stevo, 2015-08-22|
You probably want some experience on larger bikes before getting on one of these! It can be scary quickly and get you into all sorts of trouble even quicker if you aren´t prepared!
What you notice from the start:|
- Although the design looks old-school, it still functions just as well as a 2005 model should.
- The kick-stand is FAR too long and flicks up violently if the bike isn´t resting on it, it´s a small thing but it´s a big annoyance!
- Throwing a leg over the bike definitely has some weight to it but doesn´t feel like an XR650 either, it still feels like an enduro racer, ergonomics are great and the bike is comfortable sitting or standing.
- Starting the bike requires you to turn on 2 fuel taps, no ignition/key, pressing the starter button the engine fires up instantly into a deep pounding sound that lets you know you are on a serious machine.. with the kick-starter on the left it takes a bit of getting used to, but once you find TDC and give it a nice solid kick with NO THROTTLE it fires up very easy with the kicker.
- Feather-light clutch is great, six speed tranny shifts smooth and gear ratios are excellent, 1st/2nd aren´t too high, 3rd-6th aren´t too low and I never found that I was in-between gears, there was always a suitable gear for the situation. PERFECT.
- Throttle response is very good, but also smooth, it doesn´t jerk or snap when you don`t want it to, roll it on though and all 549cc´s come alive in a giant surge, you will know about it when the front wheel is still trying to lift as you click into 5th and the scenery just turns to a blur!.
- Suspension is slightly firmer than KTM´s and both front and back work well together, really no complaints.
- Chassis: It suffers from a bit of mid-corner under-steer which you can really only correct by sitting further forward, turning sharper then hitting the throttle to go into a power-slide.. talking of power-slides, this is the king of them, with the torque and usable engine it requires very little effort to keep the back end of the bike sliding for as long as you want.
It´s a stable ride, but you do notice the weight, it requires you to setup for situations quite early just so you stay in control of the inertia. Brakes are great although the rear does tend to lock up easily sending you barreling straight ahead, which means you need to get used to trail-braking with the front rotor instead of the rear.
dat kickstand tsk tsk tsk :(
A bit on the heavy side including engine inertia.
Slight under-steer means you have to show it who´s boss at times.
Very comfortable and easy to ride at a relaxed pace.
Tonnes of smooth power for any situation.
Excellent tranny and clutch.
Being a large cc which is happy to run at lower revs means less engine maintenance.
It´s not orange!
This review of the 2005 Husaberg FE 550 e was posted by a visitor on Bikez.com and does not necessarily reflect facts, truth or Bikez.com's opinions.
Write a motorcycle review yourself?You are welcome to write motorcycle articles on Bikez.com. Write about anything your fellow riders might find interesting to know about a bike. Use our standard picture or upload your own. All reviews will be checked manually before they turn up online, usually within 24 hours. To write a quick comment or discuss a bike, use our discussion forums.
Click here to write a review.